Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 19,2011

I told Harrison to sit and read Makayla's space book for ten minutes while he was waiting to go to a basketball game with his dad.  He fussed about doing that, so I told him he needed to write down 5  facts and then he could get up. He started writing the facts and asked me if he could take the book to school. I told him that would be fine and he said, "because I'm suddenly interested."  He wrote his 5 facts and continued reading the book.  He said he wanted to go to the library and read all the books too.  Just what a mother wants to hear.  Thank goodness we dropped cable t.v. a year and a half ago.
 
I  started reading "The Atlas of Legendary Places" and found out some new and interesting things that I didnt know before. The Nile River is 4160 miles long. Wow!

The Rosetta Stone was found and helped decipher Egyptian heiroglyphics.  Who knew that's where the Rosetta Stone language course got its name.

Cappadocia--never heard of it. "It's 50 miles southeast of Ankara, Turkey and it is one of the mopst extraordinary places in the world.  It's soft rock known as tufa that has been naturally eroding into conical formations which for centuries have been hallowed out and used as  homes and churches by local inhabitants."

Serpent Mound in Ohio is quite interesting. 

I learned more about King Tut and started telling the kids.  They already knew all that and they started telling me more.  I was pretty impressed with how much they knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment