Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 18, 2011

I read alot of books because I have a job that allows me to sit and read often (high school substitute teacher). I usually don't know what I want to read next.  So I end up walking up and down the aisles of the local library in search of the next perfect book. Then I got an idea, to read the library. Since having children, my memory isn't what it used to be and it seems to be getting worse. I thought it wouldn't hurt to learn some new things or for that matter relearn some. 
My personal rules before entering the library were to start at one end of the library and take the first book.  Then go to the other end and take the first book there too.  There would be no if, ands, or buts about it.  I would just have to take that book home and read it.  I decided that if  I got into it and didn't like it I could quit reading it and get the next book, but I had to at least try each book.
 That was until I arrived at section .0001 on Jan 18.  The very first book in the library was "How to Become a Consultant."  I picked it up and laughed.  I leafed through it and thought What use is this to me?  I thought about my friend Gloria's husband, Brad who is a consultant and went to school to be one.  I thought Well, I'll never start my own consulting business so what is the point?.  I broke my rule.  Then it got worse.  The next few books were about the X Files and Extra Terrestrials.  I have never been interested in Science fiction and knew I would be skipping those. I went to the 4th book titled "The Atlas of Legendary Places."  This book I took and went to the other side of the library.  This was the fiction side.  I decided to start with the Z authors.  The last book was "Somewhere in Germany" by Stefanie Zweig.  I took it.  I had my daughter, Makayla, with me and told her what I was doing and asked her if she would like to do the same thing in the children's section.  She is an avid reader and thought that it sounded like fun.  As we headed down the stairs I noticed that my Germany book was a sequel.  I ran back up and got the first book in the sequel titled "Nowhere in Africa" and headed back down.  Makayla's first book was "Willy the Frog Prince" by C.S Andler.  Her first book in the Science and Social Studies section was "Space Facts."  We checked out and went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment